Thursday, August 21, 2008

Setting off!

It took far too long to pack 2 backpacks this morning. But I'm pretty sure i have a sleeping bag, a toothbrush and enough books to start my own library in Greenland, so I should be all set. I'm also pretty sure that I have driven my family crazy enough (nearly every one of them is running an errand for me right now) that they won't be too sad to see me go. Family, you are welcome to dispute that claim.
I'm feeling tentatively ready to leave, if only because leaving on this trip has been on my mind since last August, when I started to dream it up. In typical me-fashion, the dreams didn't always materialize into concrete plans. Luckily, my laziness (often disguised as a "trust in the world to provide") is occasionally interrupted by anxiousness and in a week-long series of anxious moments (sorry, Auntie!), I found myself an activity and a room in Greenland ... for 5 days. Until Monday, I will be attending a conference in Nuuk on the social sciences and climate change. I'm sort of hoping that I make a friend there and things fall into place (laziness? trust?) for the remainder of my 3 months in the country. But if not, you might be hearing much more from me because I will be sitting, lonely, in internet cafes.
If, however, my blog posts are not so frequent (or as funny or stimulating as you would like), you might try some of the other stories in this "if you give a..." series: http://books.google.com/books?id=1LWExc-Ncg8C&dq=if+you+give+a+mouse+a+cookie&client=firefox-a&source=gbs_summary_s&cad=0.
I love that the description of this book reads: "If a hungry little traveler shows up at your house, you might want to give him a cookie." Could anyone write that down in Danish for me so that I can present it to my hosts in Greenland? Then again, all the mouse had to do was ask.
So off I go, asking the world.

6 comments:

ET said...

You are awesome! I am so glad you have a blog! You can count on me being a frequent reader. Goodluck settling into Greenland!

hppc said...

If you give a girl a grant...

...her friends might add her to their google readers.

miss you, h-y.

Unknown said...

yay! i found you... it was easy to remember with such a catchy title. tyler and i miss you in CA already! good luck getting settled & be safe! xoxo emily

Maureen A. Newman said...

Hi Sweetheart,

Sorry I missed you before you left. I send hugs and kisses and lots of good karma for your trip.

I love you.

Auntie Mo

passang said...

Dear Kendell,

It's so nice going through your travel accounts and I am happy you will come across so many wonderful people around the Globe. The world we live in is not so bad as many would have imagined. I must say I am awfully jealeous for you but I am also very happy beacause such nice girl.

Good luck and my prayers for your safety and success are always with you.

Passang Tsering

toni and jim said...

Hi Kendell,

Your mom sent us your blog address. This is very exciting to be able to live vicariously through you as you begin this year-long journey.

We wish you well. How lucky the people are that will have the chance to meet and get to know you.

With love,
Toni and Jim